Well ahead of the deadline posed by Google Translate API to stop working, we were finally able to compile this new release. This one followed a long period of problems that were presented by the older version, mainly because of the fact that Google decided to pose limitations on usage before their deadline which caused the previous versions support requests to surge to new heights. The Google change also triggered an API limit in the Bing translation API, since users were switching engines, which overloaded the Transposh hard coded API key for Bing.
At this point we had a solid version, which seemed like a good thing to release, but no, we had to have some other features in, so we finally decided to tackle the issue of multiple widgets support (and title selection too, yippee!). Seems quite straight forward? but no, this caused a major rewrite of our widget infrastructure as well. Actually improving it quite drastically with changing the way css was added, and the way the widgets notified the servers of change in language (we now avoid a useless POST call to the server). While writing that we were lucky enough to stumble upon a PHP5.3 to PHP5.2 incompatibility issue with a set of other problems which held our release back another week. We want to thank the many users that have put up with our beta releases and helped us find problems that were hidden under layers of code and complexity.
We also took this opportunity to change our terms slightly, if you are displaying Google ads from AdSense on your translated pages, we will take 1/1000 of that space for use with our own adsense code, so if Transposh is helping you generate a revenue of $10K you will be buying us coffee! So thanks! To clarify things a bit, we don’t create additional ad space on your page, and we won’t insert any ads or change your layout, if you have no ads, we do nothing. If you think that this is asking too much, you may simply delete our plugin, whistle a soft tune, and be on your way. If you want a commercial license, we don’t sell them yet, but they’ll probably cost more.
Other changes to this version include:
- Added Catalan and Hindi support for Bing – speaks for itself.
- Dropdown widget improved css – it actually looks much better now.
- Support for Memcached – Kevaka APC kei na so tale na opcode caches sa rui levu na ka me baleti iko, oqo o me vakayagataka na memcached ka sa levu sara na lasa.
- Vinaka cake 404 tabana e vukataki (sega ni bulia vou na isema ki na tabana e sega ni sa tiko rawa) – kena ibalebale na crawler ni google na hassle na nomu vanua lailai.
- Vakavinakataka na caching ena cloudsites ni rackspace – era a x-cache vakadaberi na cache ni opcode, Ia ena sega ni dua na vakanananu ni o koya e vakayagataka, ka vakavuna e dua na kui ena logfiles – vakavinakataka oqo.
- E vuqa na cala lalai tale – Eda na rawa ni wilika o ira, ia e sega ni dodonu na iqaqalo ni rauta.
- Turkey na vakadewa ena Yeşilyurt ni Semih.
Keitou nuitaka ni o na marautaka na ilavelave oqo, ka me vaka ena veigauna, waraka na nomu vakasama, vakasama, vakatutu kei na yameyame ni buka.
P.S – Vakatovolei ena WordPress 3.3 beta4, levu ni cakacaka.