Four years after going to the wordpress repository, and 189,795 downloads later, Transposh will be leaving the wordpress.org repository.
Apparently, all this time our widget had a link to our site, and although it was possible to remove it, this was against the wordpress.org guidelines.
This is a guideline that we can not accept, we believe that we deserve credit for our work. Not less than twitter, facebook, or any other well known company providing third party widgets out there.
We also can not accept the fact that our plugin will be removed without notice, and without any time to make changes, right out of the blue.
We can not accept that messages that we post on the plugin forum will be removed just because the moderators don’t like them, or decide that they are against rules that they have created themselves. Rules they don’t want to reconsider.
They are free to make any decision they like, after all, its their hosting and their rules. Can’t ignore that, luckily enough we don’t have to accept them.
If you want to complain, don’t complain here, try and complain on the forums, but my guess is that you will be moderated, wordpress.org is not a democracy, nor is it a GPL compliant site, everything there must be free, in cost, and in speech, that is the reason you got tons of crippled plugins that only serve as promotion to a pro version. This is also what they suggested that we do with Transposh. And we don’t like it, not one bit.
If a next version will ever be uploaded to that site, it will be a crippled version, (without any links here, for sure) and not the most usable version. The latest version (non crippled) will be served right here on the download page. To which we will now have to add an update mechanism.
Feel free to discuss this in the comments here.
So long wordpress.org, and thanks for all the fish.
Yes, it was over four years since the first version of Transposh for wordpress was released. And indeed, we have come a very long way.
Transposh is being used by thousands of sites all over the web, and we have many happy users (and a few less happy ones ).
This version, 0.9.2, is not really what we expected to have by now, after four years we would have expected that a version one (maybe even two) will already have been released. But apparently, life does rarely proceed as you plan it to.
The title of this posts actually refers to a new behaviour of our parser, when we used to encounter an (which should be a non-breaking space) we actually broke the phrase into two, which is rather the exact opposite of what things should have been. So hopefully this is now fixed, and we’ll no longer break!
Other changes include:
- Basic support for Woocommerce integration
- Override the case when other plugins or themes cause the process_page to be called prematurely
- Fix a nasty bug when the same translation appeared in a paragraph more than once
- Bing have added two languages
- Fix the bug reported by dserber disallowing language selection on post where translate_on_publish was disabled
- Update for .po files, Turkish Translation by Ömer Faruk Karabulut
You will enjoy this version! This is an order!
Should have posted earlier about 0.9.1 which is a rather nice version with some nice improvements. But we have waited for this extremely nice animation, made on Fiverr by an amazing animator, that happens to be related by blood to the team here
We have also created a nice Widget Gallery page, just go and see!
Other changes include:
- Added some help inside the Admin interface for very common questions (keys – no, you don’t need keys by default)
- Allow jQueryUI version to be overriden, resolving many conflicts (old themes, all sort of components with unsorted versions of jQuery and jQueryUI)
- A fix when some bad plugins insert .css in an inappropriate way (this disabled the ability to see which languages were selecred)
- Added the transposh_echo function – see our development site for documentation and usage
- Fixes for widgets, easier inclusion with shortcodes, old dropbox fixes, ids removed
- Adding touch punch to admin, allowing language selection on touch devices
- Fixes for minor issues discovered since 0.9.0
What are you waiting for? Download the latest version now!
On the 12/12/12 (what a lovely date) at 20:12 (an appropriate time). We have released version 0.9.0 of our plugin. This version included a major rewrite of our settings and administration page. Moving from the single very long page with oh so many options to a slick tabbed interface.
This version is not only cosmetic but it also included two major features enabled by the settings new advanced tab:
1. Inclusion of debugging support: Now we will be able to give you better support using the plugin ability to create logs, and allow remote debugging.
2. Advanced parsing rules: This feature allows you to change the way texts are being broken for translation on your site. It allows a much finer granulation and fitting the engine to your specific use case.
However – be warned, those features, although well tested are marked advanced and experimental. Use them only if you understand what you are doing.
There are so many other features and bug fixes included, that many of them deserve their own post, but for now, lets go over the change log:
* A new language selection widget based on select2 (Very nice select box with flags)
* Added ctrl keys for quick navigation of previous/next blocks (Improves speed of working with the interface)
* A new option that allows to reset the configuration file to the recommanded defaults
* Css fixes for twenty twelve theme
* Avoid loading the subwidgets in the admin pages
* Removed distinction between editable and viewable languages, now a language can only be active or disabled
* Updating jQueriUI to 1.9.2 (jQuery should now be 1.6+)
* Fixes the z-index for the old style dropdown (patch by chemaz)
* Fixes the bug with the coupling of Chinese simple and traditional
* Fix bug preventing upgrade from very old versions
* Suppress notices when widgets are created directly with our function
* Avoid rewriting urls in the default language, mainly effected canonicals
* Our script is needed when the widget allows setting of default language
* Finally solved the problem with MSN translate and CR/LF
In the days following the initial release, three bugs have been uncovered and fixed, if something simple is not working, make sure to refresh your files.
Enjoy this version!
Well, Google just announced on their translate blog that they will support Lao, the official language of Laos, so we have added the code required and did a quick release with support to this language, which is also supported by One Hour Translation.
The version is already out for a few days but the real problem with getting this post live was finding a picture. We are not quite sure it is the most appropriate picture, but at least it rhymes.
Enjoy this new version.